Student Visa

How To Apply For UK Student Visa

Do you want to study in the United Kingdom? Find out if you need to apply for a student visa in the United Kingdom as well as how the application process works.

UK Visas and Immigration manages the UK visa requirements and general immigration requirements, and it offers an easy-to-navigate website to assist you to figure out whether you need a UK student visa. Although Swiss nationals and EU/EEA citizens do not presently need a visa to study in the UK, all other foreign students will almost certainly require one.

The outcome of the United Kingdom's vote on EU membership ('Brexit') has caused some confusion in visa regulations, although the UK government has declared that EU citizens' status and rights would not change until 2021.

UK Student Visa Eligibility

If you want to apply for a student visa in the United Kingdom, you must meet certain criteria.

The following are the requirements for a Student Visa:

You must have obtained an unconditional offer of study from a sponsoring institution that has been authorised
Your sponsoring institution must have issued you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
On a point-based system, you must get at least 70 points
You must have the necessary academic qualifications for the course and a genuine desire to study in the United Kingdom
You can afford to support yourself (and any family members or dependents who will accompany you) in the United Kingdom

Meeting The 70-point Requirement.

While the points-based immigration system may seem intimidating, meeting the 70-point requirement is very simple. If you fulfil the primary qualifying requirements, you will eventually reach the 70-point mark.

The following is how the points work:

Receiving Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies - 50 points
Meeting the financial requirements - 10 points
Able to show that your English language proficiency meets the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages' B2 level - 10 points

Types of UK student visa

You could be eligible for the short-term study visa if you are pursuing a short course and are above the age of 18. For most short courses, this is good for up to six months, and for English language courses, it may be extended for up to eleven months.

If you're studying a lengthier course, check to see if the institution you've selected has a Tier 4 Sponsor License. If you are aged 4 to 17 and wish to study at an independent school in the UK, you may apply for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa, or a Tier 4 (General) student visa if you're 16 or older.

Required Documents for Student Visa

You will be required to submit various information and documents as part of the Student Visa application procedure. Your application will be rejected if you do not include all of the required information and documents.

The following are some of the documentation and information needed for a UK Student Visa:

A valid passport or other travel document is required (necessary)
Your course provider's Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (necessary)
Proof that you have the required financial resources (if applicable)
If the course requires it, a valid Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate
Test results for tuberculosis (if applicable)
If your sponsor has agreed to financially assist you with your course tuition and living expenses, you must get written consent from them

If you are under the age of 18, you must submit extra information, such as written permission from your parents/legal guardians, stating that they agree to your visa application, living and care conditions in the UK, and travel to the UK.

Keep in mind that any documents written in a language other than English or Welsh must be translated by a certified translator. In your evidence portfolio, you must include both the original and translated versions.

How to Apply for a Student Visa

You may apply for a Student Visa online from both within and outside the United Kingdom. The majority of candidates choose to submit their visa applications from their home country.

The first step is to fill out the online application form. After you've finished it, you'll have to pay the application cost.

The following are the current UK Student Visa fees:

£348 for applications submitted from outside the UK
£475 for applications submitted from within the UK
£475 for extensions of Student Visas

If you submit your application from outside the United Kingdom, you should get a response within three weeks. The average processing period for applications submitted inside the United Kingdom is eight weeks.

What Are the English Language Proficiency Requirements?

You must be able to show a specific level of English language proficiency to study in the United Kingdom. Those studying below the degree level must demonstrate a B1 level, while those studying at the degree level or above must demonstrate a B2 level.

Taking a SELT English language exam is the most popular method to demonstrate your English proficiency. Pearson Education Ltd, LanguageCert, IELTS SELT Consortium, and Trinity College London are the four authorised SELT test providers.

Can I Extend the Student Visa?

In certain situations, students may be eligible for visa extensions. The previous Tier 4 (General) Student Visa can currently be renewed as well.

The following must be met to extend the visa:

You must be in the UK on a Tier 4 or a Student Visa (General) Visa for Student
Should have an unconditional offer from a licenced student sponsor on a course and be able to submit a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
You must be able to prove that the course is at a higher academic level than the one you are taking now

What Options Do I Have After My Course Is Completed?

The introduction of a path to UK residence for students who have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree was one of the modifications made as part of the rebranding of the student route.

This immigration permission, often known as the Graduate Visa, allows graduates to work, look for employment, and reside in the UK for up to two years. PhD students may stay in the UK for up to three years on a Graduate Visa.

This immigration permit will be available to all foreign students who have graduated starting in the summer of 2021.

Book a free consultation

Your information has been saved.
Looks like we're having trouble